Monday, July 19, 2010

The Joy of Breastfeeding

Yes, it is a commitment. Yes, it can be challenging. Yes, it takes a bit of an effort to learn. Yes, it takes a lot of mommy's time. Yes, there can be soreness and trauma. But, it is OH. SO. WORTH. IT!

I love to feel little fingers tickle my back as his arm dangles under mine while he eats.

I love when he locks eyes with mine as he is suckling and he smiles at me.

I love that he is getting the best nutrients on the planet from his food.

I love the bond I feel with him when I hold him close to feed him.

I love that breast milk helps build his brain with the natural omega-3 fatty acids DHA and ARA.

I love that I don't have to get up and fix a bottle at 2:30am.

I love that it it doesn't cost $1,200 a year like formula does, not to mention the cost of the bottles and all the equipment involved.

I love that it is easy on his delicate digestive system.

I love that it doesn't create extra work for me...like washing, sterilizing, and drying bottles.

I love that it is rich in natural, well absorbing lactose, iron, calcium, and zinc and DOES NOT contain corn syrup like formula.

I love that it is building his tiny immune system and protecting him against germs in the environment.

I love that it lowers my risk of breast and ovarian cancer.

I love that breastfeeding is helping me lose those extra pounds gained during pregnancy.

I love that it is a natural form of birth control.

I JUST LOVE IT!

1 comment:

Tori said...

Great tribute to breastfeeding, Hannah! I would love to repost it on my blog :) - Linking them to your blog of course.

All of the things you mentioned are my very favorites too. It's the neatest thing in the world to know that your child depends on you completely and you are the only one who can give him what he needs.

You sound like you're having the best time as a mommy. So happy for you :)))