Sunday, September 27, 2009

Raw and Organic Foods

Lately, I have been inspired to take a hard look at the foods I am eating. My husband and I eat the same things but probably should not. He physically trains hard to build lean muscle and gain weight. I am looking to be healthy and prepare my body to grow a baby. Thankfully, he is open to eating anything I fix...as long as it has enough protein. And for him, getting enough protein (at least 200 grams daily) is way more than I am looking to get myself. He prefers to get his protein from eggs, whey, and meat, where I like eggs, lean meats, pea protein shakes, and veggies such as organic leafy greens. I do not prepare red meats or pork in my kitchen. We eat lean organic meats like fish (salmon and tilapia), turkey, and chicken.

Although I am not a big recipe person, I refer to many books for ideas to make my own "creations". The Complete Book of Raw Food is one book I like to refer to for raw recipes. Raw (or living) food is a type of vegetarian cuisine that is plant or animal food that has not been heated above 115 degrees. When heated above this temperature, vital enzymes are destroyed and denatured and cannot provide the same nutritive value. Some raw foodists who take it to the extreme do not eat any meat or animal byproducts such as honey, eggs, or dairy. This is considered vegan.

When eating raw foods, or any foods really, I suggest eating organic. Why? Growing and raising organic products helps in conserving our soil for future generations and enhances the environment. Organic meat, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that have been given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without pesticides, chemicals, fertilizers make with synthetic ingredients and sewage sludge, bioengineering, or ionizing radiation. The USDA has set organic standards for the foods that we eat in order to keep us safe.

Organic foods are defined on may levels. Below is the break down:
  • One hundred percent certified-organic products can be labeled 100% Organic.
  • Products with 95% or more organic ingredients can be called organic on the primary product label.
  • Products with 75% to 95% organic ingredients can be described as made with organic ingredients, and up to three organic ingredients can be listed.
  • Products with less than 70% organic ingredients may use the term organic only on the ingredient information panel.
Happy Eating!

3 comments:

Eatiing Raw Foods Info said...

You know, I have the book you mentioned, but I haven't looked at it in quite a while. I have a few other books I use all the time.

But since you reminded me, I think I"ll pull it out and see if I can find some additional raw recipes I can use.

Thanks!

Claire Coleman said...

I make all of Anson's food and I use organic products and I did the same for Genevieve when she was a baby. Now Ollie, Genevieve and I try to eat organic foods, but we aren't strict about it. We do at times and don't other times. My problem is I have a hard time finding organic products unless I go to Central Market, but even they don't always have what I'm looking for. Kroger and Albertsons have some stuff, but not a huge selection. And another thing organic tends to be more expensive. So my question for you is where do you find good organic products? And can you find it for a good price?

Hannah said...

I shop Central Market for our foods. It is more pricey, but for me it is worth spending a bit more for the organic produce because I see it as a bit of a preventative measure of health. When we have a week that we can't afford as much, I pick and choose what I buy organic. It is really important, in my opinion, to eat organic produce and because you know that it hasn't been adulterated with chemicals and GMO's (artificial growth hormones).

Next summer I will start my own garden now what we have our own home. I am going to try and grow all my produce there. There is also a Farmer's Market near Ridgmar Mall.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you can afford and what the trades offs are for your family if you do or don't buy organic foods.