Sunday, August 9, 2009

What Do You Want?

Hello Friends!

I have missed you. I just returned from a DONA (Doulas of North America) conference in Atlanta. It was a packed three days of much information that I cannot wait to share with you. We had speakers who are well known to the field and are authors, educators, and professionals such as Dr. Robert Sears, Penny Simkin, Marshall and Phyllis Klaus, and many others. These amazing people have written many of the books that I now have in my library for expectant mothers.

I am eager to start posting all about the things I have learned. I would like your feedback on where to begin. Here are some of the topics that I am now a bit more knowledgeable on:
  • SOLACE - Ongoing care and support for the mother who has had a "traumatic" birth experience
  • Vaccinations - As per Dr. Robert Sears and The Vaccine Book
  • Kangaroo Care - Immediate skin to skin care for preemies to full term babies
  • Attachment Parenting - Attachment ideas for new families versus schedules for new babies
  • Teen Mothers - Helping support pregnant and birthing teens as they become new parents
  • Hospital Birthing - How to efficiently and effectively work with the hospital staff and parents. There are some great ideas for negotiating and having an amazing birth in the hospital setting.
  • Seduction of Induction - Penny Simkin's talk on the lure of induction in today's society and the outcomes of such
  • Attachment for the Laboring Mother - How to effectively help a mother by attuning and attaching to her during birth for better infant and maternal outcomes
  • Eco-Friendly Birthing - What are we coming to by taking the natural, normal, spontaneous, birthing process away from the mothers and manipulating it into a convenient package

Ok, let's start there. Anyone want to suggest the first post from those ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to know more about attachment parenting. I have many friends who put their new babies on schedules and read books on how to do this. I am pregnant with our first child and am not sure what I am going to do. Thanks!